This BLOG will cover TIPS to prevent coating failure as well as Helpful Hints to prevent a Repair Kit Coating from failing.
3 TIPS TO PREVENT COATING FAILURE
#1 Document Everything!!! (If you did not document it, you do not do it.)
#2 Manufacturers Application Specification MUST BE followed. (Make sure the Safety Data Sheet is on site)
#3 Record the conditions
– surface temperature of the pipe
– atmospheric temperature
– dewpoint (record the dewpoint along with pipe surface temperature to ensure that the surface temperature is a minimum of 5°F above the dewpoint and a minimum of 50°F, through cure per manufacturers specifications)
– relative humidity
-batch numbers A & B with expiration dates
-check the shore D hardness to see if it matches the manufacturer specification before back filling
*If you do not record these facts and there is an issue, it is difficult to determine what part of the process created the failure.
HELPFUL HINTS TO PREVENT A REPAIR KIT (50ml cartridge) COATING FROM FAILING:
- Incomplete surface preparation
- use sand paper that is 80 grit or brush blast the holiday one inch all the way around it
- keep sand and dirt away from coatings when it is windy out
- do not coat when it is raining out unless you can tent the area until the coating can cure
- Improper pipe temperature vs dewpoint
- Coating not thoroughly mixed, needs homogenous color
- Pipe buried prior to coating achieving required hardness/cure
Do you have more questions or need more tips?
Contact USI at 248.735.7000 or office@USIgroups.com