Understanding Why Epoxy Resins Yellow Over Time
Epoxy resins are popular in various applications, from flooring to artwork, due to their durability and glossy finish. However, one common issue with epoxy is its tendency to yellow over time. This yellowing can detract from the aesthetic appeal of the epoxy finish, causing frustration for users who value the clarity and brightness of their epoxy surfaces.
The Causes of Yellowing in Epoxy
- UV Light Exposure: One of the primary reasons for epoxy yellowing is exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light. When epoxy is exposed to sunlight or even certain types of artificial light, a chemical reaction occurs in the epoxy polymer, leading to a change in color. This is particularly prevalent in areas with high sun exposure.
- Chemical Reaction: Epoxy consists of polymers that can undergo chemical changes over time, especially when exposed to heat and light. These changes can result in a yellow hue. The reaction is often accelerated in environments with higher temperatures or prolonged exposure to light.
- Quality of Resin: The initial quality of the epoxy resin also plays a role in its susceptibility to yellowing. Lower quality resins or those not specifically designed to resist yellowing are more prone to this issue. Unconventional Solutions assesses each project and works with the client to make sure that we are using the best products for that area and the exposure the epoxy flooring will come into contact with.
While yellowing does not affect the structural integrity of the epoxy, it can be a significant aesthetic concern, especially in applications where clear, pristine finishes are desired.
Preventing Yellowing in Epoxy
Addressing the challenge of yellowing in epoxy flooring, Unconventional Solutions offers an innovative product: the USI UV Resistant Epoxy Binder Clear Topcoat. This product is specifically formulated to combat the common causes of yellowing in epoxy applications.
- UV Resistance: As the name suggests, this topcoat is resistant to UV light, significantly reducing the yellowing effect caused by sun exposure. By filtering out harmful UV rays, it helps maintain the clarity and brightness of the epoxy surface.
- Enhanced Stability: The chemical composition of the USI UV Resistant Epoxy Binder Clear Topcoat is designed for stability, reducing the likelihood of yellowing due to chemical reactions within the epoxy polymer.
- Versatile Application: This product is ideal for a variety of uses, whether in sunny environments, under artificial lighting, or in areas where maintaining the aesthetic quality of the epoxy is crucial.
In conclusion, while epoxy yellowing can be a frustrating issue for many users, advances in epoxy formulations have paved the way for solutions like the USI UV Resistant Epoxy Binder Clear Topcoat. This product stands as a testament to the evolving technology in epoxy resins, offering a reliable way to keep epoxy surfaces clear, bright, and free from the yellowing effect over time.